About the Prevention of Family Violence Data Platform
Developed by Respect Victoria in partnership with the Victorian Crime Statistics Agency in response to Recommendation 143 of the Royal Commission into Family Violence, the Platform will help the Victorian Government and its partners monitor the state's progress in achieving its goal of preventing family violence and violence against women.
Compiled of a series of interactive dashboards, the Platform is visually rich providing users with definitions, imagery, explanatory materials plus links to related research and further resources.
To access the Prevention of Family Violence Data Platform, visit the Crime Statistics Agency website.
To learn more about the platform, read about its launch: Respect Victoria launches Prevention of Family Violence Data Platform
Purpose of the Prevention of Family Violence Data Platform
The Platform was built to:
- Enable monitoring of long-term, population-level progress towards the primary prevention of family violence and violence against women in Victoria
- Improve targeting of programs through measurement and analysis of the underlying drivers of violence
- Guide and support strategic primary prevention prioritisation, policy, program design and investment in Victoria
- Drive the consolidation, expansion and uptake of the quantitative evidence-base by making Victorian-level data publicly available in one place and identifying key data gaps and opportunities for future investment in data collection.
Achieving long-term change
Shifting the attitudes and behaviours that drive family violence and violence against women won't happen overnight.
While some indicators are more likely to demonstrate change sooner than others, the data captured in the Platform may not show marked positive change in the drivers and prevalence of family violence and violence against women in Victoria for some time.
Significant and sustained reductions in the prevalence of this violence requires long-term, sustained policy investment and effective, evidence-based prevention efforts, as well as continued investment in intervention and response.
Who can use the Platform?
The Prevention of Family Violence Data Platform can be used by:
- Victorian Government decision-makers — for primary prevention monitoring, reporting, policy and program planning, strategic investment planning, and data investment planning
- The primary prevention sector — to help inform primary prevention program development
- Researchers and data custodians — to help identify and address gaps in the primary prevention evidence base
- The public, the media and others — to explore data on the prevention of family violence and violence against women in Victoria